Appendix A: Healthy eating recommendations
Healthy eating is more than the foods you eat. It is also about where, when, why and how you eat.
- Be mindful of your eating habits
- Take time to eat
- Notice when you are hungry and when you are full
- Cook more often
- Plan what you eat
- Involve others in planning and preparing meals
- Enjoy your food
- Culture and food traditions can be a part of healthy eating
- Eat meals with others
Make it a habit to eat a variety of healthy foods each day.
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits, whole grain foods and protein foods. Choose protein foods that come from plants more often.
- Choose foods with healthy fats instead of saturated fat
- Limit highly processed foods. If you choose these foods, eat them less often and in small amounts.
- Prepare meals and snacks using ingredients that have little to no added sodium, sugars or saturated fat
- Choose healthier menu options when eating out
- Make water your drink of choice
- Replace sugary drinks with water
- Use food labels
- Be aware that food marketing can influence your choices
- Date modified: