This twist on a classic brings the sweet aroma of apple pie to breakfast with this creamy, whole grain oatmeal. Make oatmeal the night before and warm it in the microwave the next morning with a splash of milk.
- 250 mL (1 cup) water
- 625 mL (2 ½ cups) skim milk
- 335 mL (1 ⅓ cups) large flake oats
- 85 mL (⅓ cup) wheat germ
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) packed brown sugar
- 2 mL (½ tsp) pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) dried cranberries (optional)
- In a large saucepan, bring water and milk to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Stir in oats and wheat germ. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Cook, stirring for about 12 minutes or until almost thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in apple and cranberries, if using. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Like cooked apples that melt in your mouth? Add them at step 1 and cook until desired texture.
- For an extra boost of fibre, use pears instead of apples.
- Switch it up! Use your favourite seasonal fruit instead of apple. Try peaches, plums, strawberries, blueberries or pears.