Enjoy the sweet aroma of apple pie at breakfast with this creamy, whole grain oatmeal.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 625 mL (2 ½ cups) skim milk
- 250 mL (1 cup) water
- 325 mL (1 1/3 cups) large flake oats
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) wheat germ
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) packed brown sugar
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) dried cranberries (optional)
- In a large saucepan, bring milk and water to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Stir in oats and wheat germ. Reduce heat to medium-low heat; stir in sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Cook, stirring for about 12 minutes or until almost thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in apple and cranberries, if using. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Like cooked apples that melt in your mouth? Simply add it earlier and cook until desired texture.
- Double up on bone building benefits by swapping water for milk.
- For an extra boost of fibre, use pears instead of apples.
- Short on time in the morning? Make the oatmeal the night before and warm it in the microwave the next morning with a splash of milk.
- Switch it up! Use your favourite seasonal fruit instead of apple. Try peaches, plums, strawberries, blueberries or pears.
- Try using less of the ingredients that are high in added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.