These individual stratas are sure to become a family favourite. Wake up to a delicious aroma by making them the night before and popping them into the oven in the morning. They are perfect for making together on the weekend.
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 375 mL (1 ½ cups) chopped cooked broccoli
- 125 mL (½ cup) shredded light old Cheddar or Swiss cheese
- 60 mL (¼ cup) chopped roast turkey
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
- 190 mL (¾ cup) skim milk
- 3 eggs
- 5 mL (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Using a serrated knife, cut bread into 1 cm (½ inch) cubes and place in large bowl. Add broccoli, cheese, turkey and parsley and mix. Divide among four 250 mL (1 cup) ovenproof ramekins, or bowls, and place on a small baking sheet.
- In another bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, mustard and pepper until well combined. Gently pour over top of each bread mixture; press down gently with a fork so the bread absorbs the egg mixture. Let stand for 15 minutes or alternatively, cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
- Bake in preheated 190 °C (375 °F) oven for about 35 minutes or until puffed and edges are golden, and a knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Invite your mini chefs into the kitchen. They can help tear the bread into pieces with their hands, grate the cheese, whisk the egg mixture and pour it over the bread cubes.
- Mix up your veggies. Swap out the broccoli for cauliflower, red peppers or mushrooms.
- If you don't have small ramekins you can use a small baking dish.
- Want to make this recipe vegetarian? Just leave out the turkey.
- Try using less of the ingredients that contain a lot of sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.