- 6 eggs
- 85 mL (⅓ cup) skim milk or unsweetened fortified plant-based beverages
- 2 mL (½ tsp) salt
- 2 mL (½ tsp) pepper
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 5 mL (1 tsp) dried basil
- 125 mL (½ cup) grated lower fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F). Lightly spray or paper-line 6 muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and basil and whisk well.
- Using a 125 mL (½ cup) measuring cup, scoop batter into muffin tins until divided evenly. Add 15 mL (1 tbsp) of grated cheese on top of each frittata.
- Cook frittatas in the oven for about 15 minutes. Use a digital food thermometer to check that the eggs have reached an internal temperature of 74 °C (165 °F).
- Let cool for 3 to 5 minutes before removing from muffin tins.
- Use leftover vegetables you have in your fridge to help reduce food waste. Try adding sautéed spinach or kale, or finely chopped broccoli, cauliflower or onions at step 2.
- If you do not have a 6-tin muffin pan, use a 12-tin pan and fill the empty tins with a small amount of water. This can help protect your pan.
- Little chefs can help mix ingredients and scoop batter into muffin cups, while older kids grate cheese.
- Make a double batch and refrigerate extras for 3 to 4 days or freeze for up to 2 to 3 months. Warm in the microwave when ready to eat.