Here's a fun and colourful recipe! Simple and delicious, this customizable dish is a tasty and healthy meal that is sure to please.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 rutabaga cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) cubes
- 4 carrots, cubed
- 4 parsnips, cubed
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) diced no salt added tomatoes
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) couscous spice (see tip)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 zucchini sliced into thick rounds
- Whole grain couscous (see tip)
- Place the rutabaga, carrots, parsnips, celery and chickpeas into a large pot.
- Crush the tomatoes using a blender, and place in the pot with the spices and bay leaves. Add about 400 mL (1 2/3 cup) of water, or until the vegetables are just covered.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Then add the zucchini, and continue cooking for 10 minutes. During this time, cook the couscous.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, remove the bay leaves and serve on a bed of cooked couscous.
- Couscous spice: mix together 7.5 mL (1 ½ tsp) ground cumin, 7.5 mL (1 ½ tsp) ground coriander and 1 ml (1/4 tsp) ground turmeric.
- To prepare the couscous: bring 375 mL (1 ½ cups) of water to a boil, then remove it from the heat, add 375 mL (1 ½ cups) of couscous, and cover. Let the couscous absorb water for about 5 minutes. Once this is done, the little chefs can fluff it with a fork.
- Stop couscous from clumping by stirring 5 mL (1 tsp) of olive oil into the couscous just before adding it to the water.
- Vary your legumes. Replace chickpeas with navy beans.