- 1 package (142 g/5 oz) baby spinach, washed (don't completely dry them)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) hot pepper flakes
- 10 mL (2 tsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 5 eggs
- 85 mL (⅓ cup) water or skim milk
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) grated Parmesan cheese
- In an ovenproof 25 cm (10 inch) non-stick skillet, cook spinach over medium heat, stirring for about 2 minutes or until wilted. Add pepper, garlic and hot pepper flakes; stir to combine. Add oil and cook for 3 minutes or until softened.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, water (or skim milk), and cheese. Pour into skillet and stir to combine with spinach. Lift edges with a rubber spatula and let eggs run to the bottom. Let cook, until edge starts to set.
- Place skillet about 10 cm (4 inches) under broiler for about 3 minutes or until top is set and light golden. Use a digital food thermometer to check that the eggs have reached an internal temperature of 74°C (165°F).
- If your skillet has a plastic or wooden handle, make it ovenproof by wrapping the handle with foil before placing in the oven.
- For a flavour twist, use different peppers or other greens such as arugula or kale.
- Add more flavour by serving frittata with lower sodium pasta sauce or salsa.