Using hard cooked eggs in sandwiches adds protein and a creamy texture to this filling. Switch up your cheese. Try goat cheese or ricotta instead of the feta for a flavour twist.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) whole grain couscous
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) dried thyme or Italian herb seasoning
- 175 mL (3/4 cup) sodium reduced vegetable or chicken broth
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) each grated carrot and zucchini or diced bell pepper
- 3 hard cooked eggs, peeled
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) quartered grape tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) crumbled light feta cheese
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) chopped fresh basil or parsley
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) fresh ground pepper
- 4 small whole grain flour tortillas
- Place couscous in a bowl with garlic and thyme. Bring broth to a boil and pour over couscous. Stir in carrot and zucchini; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, mash eggs with a fork and stir in yogurt, tomatoes, feta, basil and pepper. Add couscous mixture and stir to combine.
- Divide among the tortillas and roll up to enjoy.
- Out of broth? No worries. Use water instead. This will also help cut down on the sodium.
- Get a head start on tomorrow's lunch. Make wraps the night before. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Keep in the fridge and grab one as you head out the door.
- Try using less of the ingredients that are high in added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.
- No-fail way to make hard cooked eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in saucepan and cover about 2.5 cm (1 inch) above eggs with water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain water and run cold water over eggs to chill. Store eggs with their shells on in the fridge for up to 1 week.