The warm aromatic spices will bring the whole family running into the kitchen for dinner.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 10 mL (2 tsp) canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 10 mL (2 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 10 mL (2 tsp) ground cumin
- 10 mL (2 tsp) ground coriander
- A pinch of chili flakes (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled + chopped (1/2 inch pieces)
- 375 mL (1 ½ cups) peas, frozen
- 1 can (750 mL/28 oz) no salt added tomatoes, crushed
- 750 mL (3 cups) no salt added vegetable broth
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz can) no salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion for 3 minutes or until softened. Add cinnamon, cumin, coriander, chili flakes (optional) and garlic and stir, cooking over low heat for about another 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, frozen peas and tomatoes and stir to coat vegetables in spices and oil.
- Add the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender (about 25 minutes).
- Stir in the chickpeas and simmer another 5 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft with a fork.
- Serve with brown rice or quinoa for a tasty meal.
- Want leftovers for lunches? Double the recipe and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
- Feel free to add more of your favorite vegetables in this stew. Try carrots, bell peppers and kale.