- 375 mL (1 ½ cups) whole wheat flour
- 125 mL (½ cup) oat bran
- 10 mL (2 tsp) baking powder
- 10 mL (2 tsp) packed brown sugar
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) ground nutmeg
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) soft non-hydrogenated margarine
- 165 mL (⅔ cup) 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ripe pear, cored and diced
- 85 mL (⅓ cup) shredded light old Cheddar or crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oat bran, baking powder, sugar and nutmeg. Using your fingers or a pastry blender, rub margarine into flour mixture until it looks crumbly. Using a fork, stir in yogurt to make a ragged dough. Add pear and cheese and knead gently to make a soft dough.
- Place dough on a floured surface and pat into a 20 cm (8 inch) circle about 2 cm (¾ inch) thick and cut into 8 wedges. Separate wedges and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- Little chefs can stir ingredients. Older kids can help dice the pear and shred the cheese. They will have fun patting the dough into a circle.
- Change up the flavour of these scones with other combinations of fruit and cheese. Apple with Swiss cheese, anyone?
- To freeze the scones, cool, wrap individually and freeze.