Strawberries are a sweet addition to these easy pancakes. Whip up a batch on the weekend to enjoy through the week for quick breakfasts. Mixing whole wheat flour with all purpose flour is an easy way to bump up the fibre in your recipes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 14 pancakes
- 250 mL (1 cup) whole wheat flour
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) all purpose flour
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) granulated sugar
- 10 mL (2 tsp) baking powder
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) skim milk
- 1 egg
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) canola oil
- 10 mL (2 tsp) vanilla
- 250 mL (1 cup) diced fresh strawberries
- In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat and all purpose flours, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk together milk with egg, oil and vanilla. Pour over flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in strawberries.
- Spray griddle or nonstick skillet lightly with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Using 60 mL (1/4 cup) measuring cup, pour batter onto hot griddle. Cook for about 2 minutes or until bubbles start to appear on top. Flip over and cook for another minute or until light golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
- This is a fun recipe to make with kids. Little chefs can help to mix up the pancake batter. Older kids can help to cook the pancakes.
- Switch it up by asking your family which favourite seasonal fruit they want to sub in for strawberries.
- Make now and enjoy later. Layer pancakes between wax or parchment paper and freeze for up to 2 weeks. Pop in the toaster to enjoy for a quick breakfast or warm through in the microwave.
- Try using less of the ingredients that are high in added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.