Apples and blueberries are the stars in this irresistible recipe. Enjoy it warm on its own or with a small dollop of yogurt. Perfect for dessert or as a snack with a glass of water, white milk or unsweetened fortified soy beverage.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 4 apples, (about 600 g/ 1 ¼ lb) cored and chopped
- 500 mL (2 cups) frozen or fresh blueberries
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) packed brown sugar
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) all purpose flour
- 5 mL (1 tsp) vanilla
- 250 mL (1 cup) large flake oats
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) all purpose flour
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) wheat bran
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) packed brown sugar
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) soft non-hydrogenated margarine, melted
- In a large bowl, combine apples, blueberries, sugar, flour and vanilla until coated. Spread into a 20 cm (8 inch) square baking dish; set aside.
- Topping: In another bowl, combine oats, flour, wheat bran, sugar and cinnamon. Drizzle with melted margarine and using a fork, toss to coat oat mixture. Sprinkle over top of fruit mixture.
- Bake in preheated 180°C (350°F) oven for about 50 minutes or until apples are tender and top is golden. Let cool slightly before serving.
- This is a fun and delicious recipe for the whole family to make. Little chefs can stir the topping ingredients together. Older kids can slice the apples.
- Feeling adventurous? Change the fruit to make different crisps. Instead of apple and blueberry, try pears and raspberries.
- Try using less of the ingredients that are high in added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.