This irresistible recipe showcases the wonderful combination of apples and blueberries. Enjoy it warm on its own or with a small dollop of yogurt. Perfect for dessert or as a snack with a glass of water, white milk or unsweetened fortified soy beverage.
- 4 apples, cored and chopped
- 500 mL (2 cups) frozen or fresh blueberries
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) packed brown sugar
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) all purpose flour
- 5 mL (1 tsp) vanilla
- 250 mL (1 cup) large flake oats
- 125 mL (½ cup) all purpose flour
- 85 mL (⅓ cup) wheat bran
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) packed brown sugar
- 2 mL (½ tsp) ground cinnamon
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) soft non-hydrogenated margarine, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a large bowl, combine apples, blueberries, sugar, flour and vanilla and stir until well-coated. Spread into a 20 cm/8 in square baking dish; set aside.
- Prepare the topping: In another bowl, combine oats, flour, wheat bran, sugar and cinnamon. Add melted margarine and using a fork, toss to coat oat mixture. Sprinkle over top of fruit mixture.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until apples are tender and the top is golden. Let cool slightly before serving.
- This is a fun recipe for the whole family to make. Little chefs can stir the topping ingredients together. Older kids can slice the apples.
- Use fruits you have at home. Instead of apple and blueberry, try pears and raspberries.