The natural sweet taste of dates and the grilled oats enhance the flavour of these granola bars.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
- 375 mL (1 ½ cups) large flake oats
- 125 mL (½ cup) chopped almonds (optional)
- 250 mL (1 cup) bran flakes
- 250 mL (1 cup) dates, pitted
- 60 mL (¼ cup) honey
- 60 mL (¼ cup) natural almond or peanut butter or non-nut alternative
- In a large nonstick skillet, toast oats and almonds, if using, over medium heat, stirring often for about 8 minutes or until light golden and fragrant. Pour into a large bowl and let cool slightly; stir in bran flakes.
- In a food processor, pulse dates until finely chopped.
- In a small saucepan, heat together honey and almond butter over medium low heat until melted and smooth. Add dates and stir to combine. Pour into oat mixture and stir together until dates are distributed evenly throughout and oats are coated well.
- Press mixture into 23 cm (9 inch) parchment or foil lined baking pan and press to flatten evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until firm. Cut into bars and wrap individually with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Little chefs can help press the mixture into the pan and flatten evenly.
- Try these variations: Sprinkle 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped dried cranberries or apricots or unsweetened shredded coconut on top of granola bars and press gently into top before refrigerating.
- Try using less of the ingredients that contain a lot of sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.