- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) no salt added corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 2 tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 60 mL (¼ cup) cilantro, chopped
- 190 mL (¾ cup) cooked chicken, diced
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) lime juice (about ½ lime)
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 mL (½ tsp) ground cumin
- 2 mL (½ tsp) garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large salad bowl, combine black beans, corn, tomatoes, bell pepper, cilantro and cooked chicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients. Drizzle over top of salad and toss to coat.
- Have leftover cooked quinoa or brown rice? Add some to your salad.
- Your little chefs can help rinse the black beans and corn. Older kids can help measure and whisk the dressing ingredients.
- Switch it up! Try chickpeas, lentils, or kidney beans instead of black beans. Remove the chicken for a vegetarian option.
- Letting this salad sit in the dressing allows the beans to soak up the flavours. Make ahead and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Remember, a little salt goes a long way. Taste the food before adding any salt.