Who doesn’t love quesadillas? In addition to being a fan favourite, you can freeze leftover filling for an easy, ready-made meal in the future!
Prep time:10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 454 g (1 lb) ground chicken
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) chili powder
- 5 mL (1 tsp) cumin
- 20 mL (1 ½ tbsp) onion powder
- 20 mL (1 ½ tbsp) garlic powder
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 375 mL (1 ½ cups) water
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) lower sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 250 mL (1 cup) frozen corn
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 10 small whole wheat tortillas
- 335 mL (1 ⅓ cups) shredded lower fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F) and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir frequently to prevent spices from burning until chicken is browned.
- Stir in peppers and cook for 3 minutes. Add water and simmer until the water is reduced by ⅔. Use a digital food thermometer to check that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 74 °C (165 °F).
- Remove from heat and stir in black beans, corn, lemon juice, and tomatoes.
- Place tortillas onto the baking sheet. On each tortilla, spread 125 mL (½ cup) of filling on half of the tortilla. Sprinkle with 30 mL (2 tbsp) of cheese and fold over in half.
- Bake in the oven for 7 minutes until cheese is melted and tortilla is crisp.
- Serve with a salad and toppings such as salsa, guacamole or lower fat sour cream. Little chefs can help you choose toppings.
- Little chefs love hands-on activities. Ask them to help you fill tortillas.
- Want to make a vegetarian version? Replace the chicken with any leftover beans or veggies.