This aromatic and comforting stew will surely become a family favourite! Serve with brown rice or quinoa for a slight nutty flavour.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 454 g/1 lb), diced in 5 cm/2 inch cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 mL (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 5 mL (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2 mL (½ tsp) ground clove
- 5 mL (1 tsp) salt
- 2 mL (½ tsp) black pepper
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 500 mL (2 cups) frozen butternut squash cubes
- 750 mL (3 cups) fresh spinach, chopped
- 60 mL (¼ cup) dried apricots, quartered
- 125 mL (½ cup) unsalted almonds, roughly chopped (optional)
- 500 mL (2 cups) lower sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) lower sodium lima beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 2 to 3 minutes per side until browned.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, clove, salt, and pepper. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until onions have softened.
- Add carrots, squash, spinach, dried apricots, and almonds. Stir well and add broth.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the chicken is tender and sauce has reduced. Use a digital food thermometer to check that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 74 °C (165 °F).
- Stir in lima beans to warm through and remove from heat.
- Enjoy with brown rice or quinoa.
- Encourage your kids to be little chefs. They can help gather and measure ingredients. Older kids can cut apricots.
- Choose frozen vegetables for a budget-friendly or quick option.
- Don’t have lima beans on hand? Use any canned beans you have instead!
- Both chicken breasts and chicken thighs work for this stew. No need to adjust the cooking time.