This east coast favourite makes for a delicious starter. Or pair it with a salad for a satisfying lunch. The mushrooms give this soul-warming soup a hearty texture.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 10 mL (2 tsp) canola oil
- 1 pkg (227 g/8 oz) mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley or 15 mL (1 tbsp) dried parsley
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped fresh tarragon or 5 mL (1 tsp) dried tarragon
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) all purpose flour
- 500 mL (2 cups) skim milk
- 250 mL (1 cup) sodium reduced vegetable or fish broth
- 1 can (142 g) baby clams, drained and rinsed
- 250 mL (1 cup) corn kernels
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and cook mushrooms, onion, garlic, celery, parsley and tarragon for about 8 minutes or until liquid starts to evaporate. Stir in flour until well coated.
- Pour in milk and broth; bring to a gentle boil. Stir in clams and corn and simmer gently for about 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbling slightly.
- Lactose intolerant? Replace the milk with lactose-free milk or an unsweetened, fortified soy beverage.
- You can use fresh or frozen corn in this recipe. No need to thaw the frozen corn before using.
- Spice up the soup with a few grinds of pepper or a dash of hot sauce.