- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) reduced sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 60 mL (¼ cup) tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 5 mL (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 60 mL (¼ cup) sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 2 mL (½ tsp) grated lemon rind
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) water (or more as desired)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
In a food processor bowl, combine chickpeas, tahini and cumin. Pulse until coarse. Add broth, lemon rind and juice and water, adding more as necessary to make a smooth textured hummus. Whirl until very smooth. Stir in garlic.
Watch the video
Take hummus to the next level with these fantastic variations:
- Navy Bean Hummus: Omit chickpeas and tahini. Replace with 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) reduced sodium navy beans, drained and rinsed. Stir in 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh basil with the garlic.
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus: Omit tahini and use 250 mL (1 cup) chopped roasted red peppers instead.
- Herbed Hummus: Stir in 60 mL (¼ cup) of your favourite chopped herbs, such as basil, parsley, cilantro or mint.
- Sundried Tomato Hummus: Add 125 mL (½ cup) soaked sundried tomatoes, and use the reserved soaking liquid instead of the vegetable broth