This recipe takes dip and chips to a whole new level. Pack the dip and chips separately for an on-the-go snack that is out of this world.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
- 6 small whole grain flour or corn tortillas
- 4 mL (3/4 tsp) chili powder
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) medium or hot salsa
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) grated lime rind
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) lime juice
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) ground cumin
- Pinch fresh ground pepper
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) chopped fresh cilantro
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges and place in a resealable plastic bag. Spray tortillas with cooking spray and sprinkle with chili powder; seal and shake bag to coat tortilla wedges. Place on large baking sheet and bake in preheated 200°C (400°F) oven for about 8 minutes or until golden and crisp. Let cool completely before using.
- In a food processor bowl, puree beans, salsa, lime rind and juice, shallot, cumin and pepper until smooth. Scrape into bowl and stir in cilantro and basil, if using.
Serve with tortilla chips.
- Great make-ahead snack. The bean dip can be refrigerated for five days. Store the tortilla chips in a cookie tin at room temperature for up to one week.
- Little chefs can help shake the tortilla wedges in the bag.
- No time to make the chips? Serve with your family's favourite veggies or whole grain crackers for dipping.
- Change up the beans and herbs to create different flavours and tastes sensations.
- Try using less of the ingredients that are high in added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.