- 6 small whole grain flour or corn tortillas
- 4 mL (¾ tsp) chili powder
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 125 mL (½ cup) medium or hot salsa
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) grated lime zest
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 mL (½ tsp) ground cumin
- Pinch ground pepper
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) chopped fresh cilantro
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges and place in a resealable plastic bag. Spray tortillas with cooking spray and sprinkle with chili powder; seal and shake bag to coat tortilla wedges. Place on large baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for about 8 minutes or until golden and crisp. Let cool completely before using.
- In a food processor, purée beans, salsa, lime zest, lime juice, shallot, cumin and pepper until smooth. Scrape into bowl and stir in cilantro and basil, if using.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Watch the video
- Great make-ahead snack. The bean dip can be refrigerated for 5 days. Store tortilla chips in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Little chefs can help shake the tortilla wedges in the bag.
- No time to make the chips? Serve the dip with your family's favourite vegetables or whole grain crackers for dipping.
- Change up the beans and herbs to create different flavours and tastes sensations.