- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped fresh dill or 2 mL (½ tsp) dried dill weed
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 500 mL (1 pint) grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 60 mL (¼ cup) chopped fresh basil
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) basil pesto
- 10 mL (2 tsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) fresh ground pepper
- In a deep 1.5 L (6 cup) bowl, toss cucumber with dill and spread out over bottom of the bowl. Layer with carrots, chickpeas and tomatoes. Sprinkle basil over top. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, pesto, oil, garlic and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve salad.
- Just before serving, drizzle dressing over salad and toss to combine and coat.
- Little chefs can help assemble the layers of vegetables for this salad.
- Switch up your legumes. Replace the chickpeas for kidney or black beans.
- Mix it up. Experiment with different veggies. Ask your family to choose their favourite ones.
- Make this salad ahead of time, and you'll have a satisfying lunch filled with protein and fibre.
- Try using less of the ingredients that are high in added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.