This flavourful, colourful and healthy salad is prepared with whole grain foods. Enjoy barley's chewy texture and the nuttiness of wild rice. The salad is perfect for lunch or a picnic.
- 125 mL (½ cup) each pot barley and wild rice
- 250 mL (1 cup) lower sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 250 mL (1 cup) water
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) cider or white wine vinegar
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 10 mL (2 tsp) vegetable oil
- 1 small clove garlic, finely grated
- Pinch of ground pepper
- 375 mL (1 ½ cups) chopped cooked turkey or chicken (about 180 g/6 oz)
- 60 mL (¼ cup) each chopped fresh parsley and chives
- In a saucepan, toast barley and wild rice over medium heat, stirring for 3 minutes. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until barley and rice are tender but still chewy and firm. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine cooled barley-rice mixture with bell pepper, zucchini and tomato.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, oil, garlic and pepper. Drizzle over top of barley-rice mixture and stir to coat. Stir in turkey, parsley and chives until well distributed.
- Choose pot barley, which is a whole grain, instead of pearl barley.
- Little chefs will love to help out! They can measure ingredients and older kids can cut the vegetables.
- This salad is equally delicious warm or cold. Perfect for making ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Leave out turkey for a vegetarian version. You can replace it with 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) drained and rinsed lentils, chickpeas or kidney beans.