- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) lower sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) lower fat yogurt
- 60 mL (¼ cup) diced celery
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 60 mL (¼ cup) raisins
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 mL (½ tsp) curry powder
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) apricot jam (optional)
- 7 mL (½ tbsp) lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- In a large bowl, place chickpeas and roughly mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Add all remaining ingredients and toss to combine.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Do your kids love burgers? This salad would be a perfect side dish. Ask little chefs to measure out ingredients and mix them together.
- Try lower sugar peach jam or a drizzle of honey if apricot jam is unavailable.
- Switch up the beans – try kidney beans or pinto beans instead of chickpeas.
- Remember, a little salt goes a long way. Taste the food before adding any salt.