- 227 g (8 oz) green beans, trimmed
- 227 g (8 oz) yellow beans, trimmed
- 250 mL (1 cup) shelled soy beans (edamame)
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) sodium reduced chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 60 mL (¼ cup) apple cider vinegar
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 2 mL (½ tsp) fresh ground pepper
- 60 mL (¼ cup) each chopped fresh basil and parsley or mint
- In a saucepan of boiling water, cook green and yellow beans and soy beans for 3 minutes, drain well and rinse under cold water to chill. Cut green and yellow beans into 5 cm (2 inch) pieces. Set bean mixture aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine chickpeas, celery, green onions and red pepper. Add bean mixture to bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, oil and pepper. Pour over bean mixture and toss to coat. Add basil and parsley and toss again.
- You choose the beans. If you prefer, use all green beans or all yellow beans.
- If shelled soy beans are not available use lima beans or 250 mL (1 cup) of your favourite sodium reduced canned bean, drained and rinsed.
- Little chefs can help trim the beans using their hands to snap off the ends. They can also whisk the dressing together.
- This salad keeps on giving. Make ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to two days. Pack some salad with a handful of cheese and crackers for a quick and easy lunch.