- 125 mL (½ cup) skim milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 mL (½ tsp) grated orange rind
- 5 mL (1 tsp) vanilla
- 2 mL (½ tsp) ground cinnamon
- 250 mL (1 cup) bran flakes, crushed
- 4 slices whole grain bread
Pineapple Orange Topping:
- 5 mL (1 tsp) soft non-hydrogenated margarine
- 5 mL (1 tsp) granulated sugar
- 1 large navel orange, peeled and chopped
- 250 mL (1 cup) diced pineapple
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, orange rind, vanilla and cinnamon. Place bran flakes in a plate. Dip a slice of bread in egg mixture and coat both sides well. Dip one side of the bread into bran flake mixture.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium high heat and spray lightly with cooking spray. Cook coated bread slices, bran flake side down, for about 3 minutes or until golden. Turn over and cook for another 2 minutes or until golden. Repeat with remaining bread slices. Place French toast on a baking sheet and keep warm in a preheated 120°C (250°F) oven.
- Meanwhile, in another nonstick skillet, melt margarine and sugar over medium- high heat. Add orange and pineapple and bring to a simmer for 2 minutes to warm through.
- Cut each French toast slice into 4 sticks and serve pineapple orange topping on the side or on top.
- Make extra pieces of French toast and freeze uncut. Just pop them in the toaster to reheat on busy mornings.
- Change up the topping by using your favourite fruit like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, apples or pears.
- Turn this breakfast fave into dinner by serving up hard boiled or poached eggs. Serve it with a green salad for a quick and easy meal.
- Try using less of the ingredients that are high in added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.