The fresh taste of lemon elevates this chicken sandwich to a whole new level. The taste sensation continues with crisp red pepper and fresh cilantro. This lunch standby goes from ho-hum to hello there.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: no cooking needed
- 750 mL (3 cups) shredded cooked chicken breast meat (about 330 g/11 oz)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) grated lemon rind
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) light mayonnaise
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) light crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) fresh ground pepper
- 12 thin slices dense pumpernickel rye bread or whole grain bread
- 6 leaves lettuce
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion, red pepper and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon rind, juice, yogurt and mayonnaise. Stir in feta, if using and pepper. Pour over chicken mixture and stir to combine. Divide among 6 of the bread slices and top with lettuce and remaining bread. Cut in half to serve.
- Little chefs can help stir together the salad ingredients and assemble the sandwiches.
- This sandwich can be served on whole grain pita pockets or tortillas.
- Add more colour and crunch by tucking in chopped cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Try using less of the ingredients that are high in added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.
- To quickly cook chicken: Bring 500 mL (2 cups) sodium reduced chicken broth and 250 mL (1 cup) of water to simmer. Add 3 skinless chicken breasts (bone in) and poach for about 15 minutes. Use a digital food thermometer to check that chicken has reached an internal temperature of 74°C (165°F).Let cool until easy to handle and using fingers remove meat from bones. Tear meat into shreds or chop finely for the recipe. You can also use leftover roast chicken or turkey for this sandwich.