- 750 mL (3 cups) shredded cooked chicken breast
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- 2 mL (½ tsp) grated lemon zest
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) light mayonnaise
- 125 mL (½ cup) light crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) ground pepper
- 12 thin slices dense pumpernickel rye bread or whole grain bread
- 6 lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion, bell pepper and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, yogurt and mayonnaise. Stir in feta, if using, and pepper. Pour over chicken mixture and stir to combine.
- Divide mixture among 6 of the bread slices. Top with lettuce and remaining bread. Cut in half to serve.
Watch the video
- Little chefs can stir together salad ingredients and assemble sandwiches.
- The chicken mixture can be served in whole grain pita pockets or tortillas.
- Add more colour and crunch by tucking in chopped cucumbers and tomatoes.