Transform an all-time lunch favourite with a little extra colour and crunch. Keep hard-cooked eggs handy in the fridge to whip up these easy sandwiches.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: no cooking needed
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) each 0% fat plain Greek yogurt and light mayonnaise
- Pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 5 mL (1 tsp) chopped fresh dill or parsley or 1 mL (1/4 tsp) dried dill weed
- 2 leaves leaf lettuce
- 2 slices whole grain bread or dense pumpernickel dark rye bread
- In a bowl, use a fork to mash eggs until crumbly. Stir in yogurt, mayonnaise and pepper. Add celery, red pepper, green onion if using, and dill; stir until combined well.
- Place lettuce on bread slices and divide egg salad on top.
- Little chefs love to peel the hard-cooked eggs. Hard-cooked eggs can be stored in their shells, in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Get a head start. You can make the egg salad a day ahead, and just assemble the sandwich before serving.
- No-fail way to make hard- cooked eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in saucepan and cover about 2.5 cm (1 inch) above eggs with water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain water and run cold water over eggs to chill. Store eggs with their shells on in the fridge for up to 1 week.