- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) light mayonnaise
- Pinch of ground pepper
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 60 mL (¼ cup) finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 5 mL (1 tsp) chopped fresh dill or parsley or 1 mL (¼ tsp) dried dill weed
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 2 slices whole grain bread or dense pumpernickel dark rye bread
- Prepare the boiled eggs: Place them in a single layer in saucepan and cover about 2.5 cm (1 inch) above eggs with water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain water and run cold water over eggs to chill.
- In a bowl, use a fork to mash eggs until crumbly. Stir in yogurt, mayonnaise and pepper. Add celery, red pepper, green onion if using, and dill; stir until combined well.
- Place lettuce on bread slices and divide egg salad on top.
- Little chefs will love to peel and mash hard-boiled eggs.
- Get a head start. You can make egg salad a day ahead, and just assemble sandwiches before serving.
- Store hard-boiled eggs with their shells on in the fridge for up to 1 week.