This version is sure to please as it’s simple and fast for a weeknight meal. Moist, succulent chicken thighs take this great tasting soup to a whole new level of comfort.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 575 g/1 lb 4 oz
- 2 L (8 cups) water
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 250 mL (1 cup) whole grain egg noodles
- 250 mL (1 cup) frozen peas
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh basil or parsley
- Hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Trim any visible fat from the chicken thighs and set aside.
- In a soup pot or Dutch oven, bring water, parsley, onion, carrot, garlic and trimmed chicken thighs to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and spoon off any foam that forms on top. Cook chicken for about 15 minutes.*
- Using tongs, remove chicken thighs to a clean cutting board. Let cool slightly and chop into bite size pieces. Return chopped chicken with noodles, peas, cheese and basil to broth; cook for about 5 minutes or until noodles are tender. Add a splash of hot sauce to each bowl if desired.
- Time saver: Double this recipe and freeze extra servings for another day.
- Portion the soup into individual servings for easy meals that are ready to go.
- If you don’t have a large pot, just double the recipe by using two smaller pots instead.
- Try using less of the ingredients that are high in added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.