- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 565 g/1¼ lb)
- 2 L (8 cups) water
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 250 mL (1 cup) whole grain egg noodles
- 250 mL (1 cup) frozen peas
- 60 mL (¼ cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh basil or parsley
- Hot pepper sauce (optional)
- In a soup pot or Dutch oven, bring water, parsley, onion, carrot, garlic and trimmed chicken thighs to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and spoon off any foam that forms on top. Cook chicken for about 15 minutes. Use a digital thermometer to check that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 74 °C (165 °F).
- Using tongs, remove chicken thighs to a clean cutting board. Let cool slightly and chop into bite size pieces. Return chopped chicken with noodles, peas, cheese and basil to broth; cook for about 5 minutes or until noodles are tender. Add a splash of hot sauce to each bowl if desired.
- Include your kids in the kitchen! Ask them to help measure some ingredients and grate Parmesan cheese.
- Double this recipe and portion soup into individual servings for easy meals that are ready to go. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days or freezer for up to 4 months.