A delicious, hearty soup. You can use any type of canned or dried beans in this recipe.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1.5 L (6 cups) no salt added vegetable broth
- 1 L (4 cups) chopped cabbage
- 750 mL (3 cups) carrots, diced
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no salt added white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) no salt added diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes in puree (Pezzettoni)
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) garlic powder
- Turn on stove to high heat. Put vegetable broth in a large pot and heat to boiling.
- Turn heat to medium. Add chopped cabbage and diced carrots. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes and garlic powder. Add pepper to taste. Cover and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Serve in bowls.
- Time saver: double this recipe and freeze extra servings for another day.
- Get creative in the kitchen. Add any of your favorite veggies or a cooked whole grain to this soup. Try green beans and whole grain pasta.
- Like creamy soups? Try serving with a dollop of lower fat plain yogurt.
- Like thicker soups? After the soup has simmered, remove from heat. Remove most of the cabbage and carrots with a slotted spoon and add to a bowl. Add half of the beans to the soup broth and puree with a hand-held blender or a potato masher. Add the cabbage and carrots back and continue with step 3.
- For a kick of heat and flavour add a pinch of dried chili flakes, pepper and any of your favorite herbs. Try basil, oregano and parsley.