- 15 mL (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) ground cumin
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 L (4 cups) sodium-reduced vegetable broth, divided
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 900 g/2 lb)
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) no salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) no salt added diced tomatoes, with juice
- 250 mL (1 cup) frozen mango, thawed and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cumin and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the curry powder and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring to keep from burning.
- Add garlic and 500 mL (2 cups) of broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add the remaining broth, squash, chickpeas, and tomatoes to the pot. Bring back to a simmer and cook covered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mango and cook for 5 minutes. Serve hot over brown rice.
- To boost up the vegetable content, add minced carrot at step 2 and minced celery at step 3.
- To switch up the flavour, try using 125 mL (½ cup) raisins instead of the frozen mango.
- Store leftovers for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer. If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and heat to a serving temperature of 165 °F (74 °C) or higher.
- Remember, a little salt goes a long way. Taste the food before adding any salt.