This kale and chickpea curry is a quick and easy way to make a rich, flavourful dish. Serve with brown rice or wholegrain flatbread.
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 green chili, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 mL (1 tsp) cumin seeds
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 750 mL (3 cups) kale, stems removed and finely chopped, leaves roughly torn
- 5 mL (1 tsp) ground coriander
- 2 mL (½ tsp) turmeric powder
- 2 mL (½ tsp) cayenne powder
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) no salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 100 mL (⅓ cup + 1 tbsp) light coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- In a pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced chili, garlic, and cumin seeds and cook for 15 to 20 seconds, then add onions and chopped kale stems. Sauté for 1 minute or until onions are soft but not browned. Add kale leaves and sauté until wilted.
- Add ground coriander, turmeric powder and cayenne powder. Stir to combine well and coat kale in the spices. Add chickpeas and 250 mL (1 cup) of water, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and simmer for another 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you don’t have light coconut milk on hand, try replacing it with 100 mL (⅓ cup + 1 tbsp) of tomato puree.
- Looking for something to add to this meal? Place the curry mixture on top of brown rice or quinoa.
- For extra zing, top your food with fresh lemon juice before serving.
- Remember, a little salt goes a long way. Taste the food before adding any salt.