Enjoying your food is part of healthy eating. Enjoy the taste of your food and the many food-related activities that go along with eating.
On this page
Benefits of enjoying your food
The benefits of enjoying your food include:
- tasting the flavours
- being open to trying new foods
- developing a healthy attitude about food
Knowing that you are making healthy food choices can increase your enjoyment of food.
Enjoying your food includes:
- socializing at mealtime
- enjoying shopping for food
- preparing and cooking food
- growing or harvesting your own food
- getting to know the people that grow or produce your food
- involving others in meal planning, preparation and clean up
How to enjoy your food
There are many ways to enjoy your food and make healthy choices. Try these ideas to add enjoyment to healthy eating.
Enjoy your food by making choices that reflect:
- enjoying your food should be about choosing a variety of healthy foods and flavours that you like
- culture and food traditions can be a great way to add to the enjoyment of your food
- there are many ways to enjoy your food while eating on a budget
- there is no one right way to enjoy your food. You can enjoy your food no matter what your lifestyle.
Try new foods
Try a variety of healthy foods to help you find new foods to enjoy. Trying new foods can appeal to a sense of wonder and even adventure.
Create a positive eating environment
Part of enjoying your food can be enjoying the atmosphere around it. The setting around you can contribute to making meal times more satisfying. Creating a positive eating environment can include:
- eating with others
- making your eating area attractive
- turning on some of your favorite music in the background
Visit the Food guide for life for tips to:
- Save money
- Eat without distractions
- Healthy eating on a budget
- Healthy eating for holidays and events
- Take time to eat
- Eat meals with others