- 15 mL (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 125 mL (½ cup) small diced celery
- 125 mL (½ cup) shredded carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) tomato paste
- 750 mL (3 cups) lower sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 5 mL (1 tsp) dried basil
- 5 mL (1 tsp) dried oregano
- 375 mL (1 ½ cups) kale or spinach, chopped
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 mL (½ tsp) salt
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) black pepper
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions and celery for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in carrot and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Mix in broth, crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, kale, and lentils. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
Watch the video
- Involve kids by having them help grate carrots, chop spinach, and rinse lentils.
- Bolognese sauce can be prepared with a combination of lentils and animal-based protein, such as ground turkey or lean ground beef. Adjust the ratio of plant- and animal-based protein to your family's liking.
- Freeze leftovers for a quick and easy lunch or dinner.