This meal offers a tasty mix of ground chicken and tofu with Chinese-inspired flavours. It is a great option to introduce tofu to your kids’ palettes.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) sesame oil
- 5 mL (1 tsp) chili flakes
- 454 g (1 lb) ground chicken
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped ginger
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped garlic
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) tomato paste
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) lower sodium soy sauce
- 500 mL (2 cups) lower sodium vegetable broth
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) cornstarch
- 60 mL (¼ cup) water
- 1 package (400 g/14 oz) medium-firm tofu, cubed
- 60 mL (¼ cup) sliced green onion
- In a large pan, heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add red chili flakes and toast for a few seconds.
- Add ground chicken to the pan and cook until browned. Stir in ginger and garlic and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix in tomato paste, soy sauce, and vegetable broth. Let simmer to reduce by half.
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and water. Stir into the sauce and simmer on low heat for 2 minutes. The sauce will slightly thicken.
- Gently stir in tofu and green onions. Cook for 5 minutes until the tofu has just warmed through.
- Serve over brown or wild rice, in whole wheat tortillas, or in lettuce wraps.
- Littles chefs can help plan recipes by checking the fridge and cupboards for ingredients.
- Steam bok choy or other vegetables while the sauce is simmering to make it a complete meal.
- Switch up the protein. Ask your kids to help you choose between chicken, beef or pork.