This tasty pasta recipe is prepared with secret ingredients - creamy ricotta and colourful vegetables. Serve with salad on the side.
- 1 package (375 g) whole grain rotini or fusilli
- 10 mL (2 tsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ red bell pepper, finely sliced
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) dried oregano
- 5 mL (1 tsp) dried basil
- 1 jar (700 mL) passata (strained crushed tomatoes)
- 125 mL (½ cup) water
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley or basil
- 250 mL (1 cup) light ricotta cheese
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a pot of boiling water, cook pasta for about 8 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain well and return pasta to pot; set aside.
- Prepare the pasta sauce: Meanwhile, in a large and deep nonstick skillet, heat oil and cook zucchini, carrot, pepper, oregano and basil over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until starting to turn golden. Stir in passata, water and parsley. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in ricotta, Parmesan cheese (optional), and pasta.
Watch the video
- Ask little chefs for ideas on what pasta shape to use. Have fun looking at all the options at the grocery store.
- Switch it up! Spread pasta mixture into a casserole dish and sprinkle top with shredded lower fat mozzarella. Bake in 200°C (400°F) oven for about 10 minutes.
- Make a double batch of pasta sauce and use on busy nights. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
- Do you have meat lovers at home? Add cooked lean ground beef at step 3.