No one will guess that the secret ingredient in this creamy pasta dish is ricotta. Packed with colourful vegetables, this tasty meal will be a hit.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 package (375 g) whole grain rotini or fusilli
- 10 mL (2 tsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ red bell pepper, finely sliced
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) dried oregano
- 5 mL (1 tsp) dried basil
- 1 jar (700 mL) passata (uncooked strained tomato purée)
- 125 mL (½ cup) water
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley or basil
- 250 mL (1 cup) light ricotta cheese
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a pot of boiling water, cook pasta for about 8 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain well and return pasta to pot; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large and deep nonstick skillet, heat oil and cook zucchini, carrot, pepper, oregano and basil over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until starting to turn golden. Stir in passata, water and parsley. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in ricotta, Parmesan (optional), and pasta.
- Serve with salad on the side.
- Ask little chefs for ideas on what pasta shape to use. Have fun looking at all the options at the grocery store.
- Switch it up! Spread pasta mixture into a casserole dish and sprinkle top with shredded part skim mozzarella. Bake in 200°C (400°F) oven for about 10 minutes, until cheese has melted.
- Try using less of the ingredients that contain a lot of added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.