- 2 red bell peppers
- 125 mL (½ cup) unsalted walnuts, divided
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 mL (½ tsp) salt
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) paprika
- 2 mL (½ tsp) honey
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 230 °C (450 °F) and line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- Place red bell peppers on a baking sheet and roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until peppers are soft and skins begin to blacken, checking from time to time. Let cool and remove stems and seeds.
- Roast walnuts on a separate tray for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place half of walnuts in a zip top bag and let kids crush with a mallet. Reserve.
- In a blender, place peppers, oil, uncrushed walnut, garlic, salt, paprika, and honey. Blend until smooth.
- Empty into a bowl and stir in crushed walnuts and breadcrumbs.
- Serve the dip as a snack with vegetables and whole wheat pita.
- Spread on a flatbread and top with roasted vegetables like sliced zucchini, bell peppers and red onion to make it a meal.
- Whole grain crackers or stale bread can be used to make breadcrumbs. Place in a plastic bag and have the kids crush them up!
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days.