- 2 red bell peppers
- 125 mL (½ cup) unsalted walnuts, divided
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 mL (½ tsp) salt
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) paprika
- 2 mL (½ tsp) honey
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 230 °C (450 °F) and line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- Place red bell peppers on a baking sheet. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until peppers are soft and skins begin to blacken, checking from time to time. Let cool and remove stems and seeds.
- Roast walnuts on a separate tray for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place half of walnuts in a zip top bag and let kids crush with a mallet. Reserve.
- In a blender, place bell peppers, oil, uncrushed walnut, garlic, salt, paprika, and honey. Blend until smooth.
- Empty into a bowl and stir in crushed walnuts and breadcrumbs.
- Serve dip as a snack with vegetables and whole wheat pita.
- Spread on flatbread and top with roasted vegetables like sliced zucchini, bell peppers and red onion to make it a meal.
- Use whole grain crackers or stale bread to make breadcrumbs. Place in a plastic bag and have the kids crush them up!
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days.