This vegetarian version of Russian Okroshka is prepared with kefir and is perfect for those hot summer days.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 1 boiled potato, cut into cubes
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped into cubes
- 1 large cucumber, halved, seeds removed and diced into small cubes
- 1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced (about 250 mL/1 cup)
- 1 bunch scallions, dark and light green parts, thinly sliced (about 250 mL/1 cup)
- 250 mL (1 cup) fresh dill, finely chopped
- 500 mL (2 cups) 1% kefir
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) of lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- Salt to taste
- Thinly slice radishes using a mandolin or sharp knife. Arrange slices in small stacks on your cutting board. Thinly slice the stacks of radish to make thin matchsticks.
- In a large bowl, combine boiled potato, hard cooked eggs, cucumber, radish, scallions, and dill. Pour kefir over mixture, add lemon juice and stir well to combine.
- Refrigerate and serve when ready.
- When ready to eat, stir in a dollop of light sour cream or crumbled light feta cheese in your bowl.
- If the consistency is too thick, add low sodium vegetable broth when all ingredients have been combined.
- You can make the soup ahead of time and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- You can add another egg or diced or minced cooked chicken for more protein.
- Remember, a little salt goes a long way. Taste the food before adding any salt.