These tofu pockets are uniquely prepared with a punchy citrus marinade. For an inspired twist to everyday foods, tuck the grilled tofu into a sandwich, serve it on greens or add it to soups or pasta salads. The options are endless.
- 1 pkg (350 g) extra firm tofu
- 2 mL (½ tsp) grated orange zest
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) orange juice
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 10 mL (2 tsp) sesame oil
- 10 mL (2 tsp) grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) Sriracha chili sauce (hot sauce)
- 3 whole grain pitas, cut in half
- 500 mL (2 cups) baby spinach
- 150 mL (⅔ cup) shredded carrot
- 6 small lime wedges
- Cut tofu crosswise into 12 slices; set aside.
- In a shallow baking dish, whisk together orange zest, orange juice, soy sauce, oil, ginger, garlic, and chili sauce. Add tofu and turn to coat evenly. Let stand for at least 15 minutes or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Reserve marinade. Place tofu slices on a greased grill over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning once while cooking. Remove from grill and toss with reserved marinade.
- Fill each pita half with spinach, carrots, and 2 tofu slices. Squeeze lime juice over top.
- Ask your little chefs to whisk the marinade and add in tofu slices. They can also fill pita halves with vegetables and grilled tofu.
- Add leftover grilled tofu to a stir-fry with bok choy and bell pepper strips.