Creamy and colourful, these wraps come together in very little time. The crisp red bell peppers and lettuce add crunch. For an easy appetizer, prepare the bean filling separately from the lettuce, and assemble just before you're ready to eat.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: no cooking needed
Servings: 12 wraps
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) chopped reconstituted sundried tomatoes (see tip)
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) fresh ground pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) cider vinegar
- 1 small head Boston leaf lettuce
- 1 carrot, grated
- In a large bowl, using a potato masher or fork, mash beans until coarse. Stir in tomatoes, parsley, garlic and ground pepper until well distributed. Gently fold in avocado, red bell pepper and vinegar.
- Spoon bean mixture into lettuce leaves and sprinkle with carrot to serve.
- To prep sundried tomatoes: Place in a bowl and pour boiling water over top. Let it stand for about 3 minutes or until tender and soft. Drain water and chop sundried tomatoes to use in recipe.
- Little chefs can help to mash the beans, stir the mixture and fill their own lettuce leaves.
- Avocados turn brown quickly so cut them up just before using them.
- Bump up the colour in this recipe with sliced radishes or quartered cherry tomatoes.
- Try using less of the ingredients that are high in added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.