This chicken dish is tender and full of flavor. Serve it over brown rice or quinoa with a fresh, green salad for a great evening meal.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 10 to 15 minutes
- 190 mL (¾ cup) no sugar added canned crushed pineapple
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1 clove garlic, grated or minced
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 10 mL (2 tsp) vegetable oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 500 g)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) fresh mint, chopped
- 2 mL (½ tsp) hot pepper sauce
- In a shallow dish, combine 60 mL (¼ cup) of the pineapple, ginger, garlic, soy sauce and 5 mL (1 tsp) of the oil; set aside.
- On a cutting board, cut chicken breasts into cubes. Add to marinade, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Heat remaining oil in nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Stir-fry chicken and marinade with red pepper stirring for about 8 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in mint, hot pepper sauce, and 125 mL (½ cup) of the pineapple.
- Serve pineapple ginger chicken on a bed of brown rice or quinoa with a side of green salad to make a yummy meal.
- Cut and prepare raw poultry on a separate cutting board from that used to cut ready to eat vegetables, fruit or other foods.
- Try using less of the ingredients that contain a lot of added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.