This wholesome meal is perfect for a crowd! Serve with a salad or a raw veggie platter.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 6 to 8 hours
● 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 680 g)
● 375 mL (1 ½ cups) canned (no salt added) diced tomatoes
● 310 mL (1 ¼ cups) low sodium chicken broth
● 10 mL (2 tsp) chili powder
● 5 mL (1 tsp) ground cumin
● 5 ml (1 tsp) garlic powder
● 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
● 250 mL (1 cup) uncooked brown rice
● 250 mL (1 cup) frozen or canned (no salt added) corn
● Optional toppings: lower fat shredded mozzarella, lower fat plain yogurt, lower sodium salsa, diced fresh avocado
1. Lightly spray inside of large slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. In a large slow cooker, combine the chicken, diced tomatoes (with juice), chicken broth, chili powder, and cumin. Make sure the chicken broth covers the chicken, adding more if needed. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 hours on the low setting.
3. Uncover and stir in the beans, brown rice, and corn. Cover and cook for another 3 to 4 hours on the low setting.
4. In the last hour of cooking, check the brown rice occasionally, stirring once or twice to make sure it cooks evenly and adding more chicken broth if the mixture seems dry. Cooking is done when the brown rice is tender.
5. Remove the chicken and place in a large bowl or cutting board. Use 2 forks to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Transfer the chicken back to the slow cooker and mix.
6. Serve in individual bowls alongside optional toppings of choice. Freeze leftovers to serve on busy weeknights.
● Want to use some of yesterday’s leftovers? Try using quinoa instead of brown rice or chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts.
● Kids will be amazed to see the food cook by itself in the slow cooker. Ask them to help combine ingredients and stir when needed.
● If you want your dish to be spicier, add red pepper flakes or hot sauce!
● Transform this Mexican burrito bowl into a wrap. Spoon some of the mixture into a lettuce leaf or whole grain corn tortilla and wrap it up!