This Mediterranean-inspired meal is a quick escape to Greece. A mix of delicious herbs and spices brings the lentils and tofu in this meal to life!
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 package (400 g/14 oz) extra firm tofu
- 10 mL (2 tsp) dried oregano
- 2 mL (½ tsp) dried thyme
- 10 mL (2 tsp) garlic powder
- 10 mL (2 tsp) onion powder
- 2 mL (½ tsp) black pepper
- 4 mL (¾ tsp) salt
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) cumin
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) paprika
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) lentils, drained and rinsed
- 500 mL (2 cups) water
- 2 mL (½ tsp) turmeric powder
- 375 mL (1 ½ cups) uncooked brown rice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 125 mL (½ cup) lower fat yogurt
- ½ mL (⅛ tsp) onion powder
- Pinch of cumin
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- ½ large cucumber, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C (350 °F) and line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- Cut tofu into 2.5 cm (1 inch) slices and place on one of the baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl, mix together oregano, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, salt, cumin, paprika, and vegetable oil. Brush ¾ spice mixture onto tofu and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Toss lentils in remaining spice mixture and spread onto the other baking sheet. Bake for about 13 minutes, until a little crispy.
- In a small pot with a lid, bring water and turmeric to a boil. Add brown rice, cover and return to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- In a small bowl, mix garlic, yogurt, onion powder, and cumin. Serve sauce with tofu and lentils.
- Serve with vegetables - grilled, roasted, or fresh will make the perfect side.
- Tofu is a great food for kids to safely practice their chopping skills with a plastic, kid-friendly knife.
- Skip the rice and wrap in a whole wheat tortilla for a portable meal.
- These roasted lentils make for a great protein-rich snack! Eat leftovers on their own or add to a salad.