- 30 mL (2 tbsp) vegetable oil, divided
- 5 mL (1 tsp) black mustard seeds
- 3 whole dried red chilies
- 4 fresh or dried curry (neem) leaves
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into a 1-inch dice
- 1 small handful fresh coriander, finely chopped (about 60 mL/¼ cup)
- Salt to taste
- In a high-sided sauté pan, heat oil over high heat. Add mustard seeds, chilies, and curry leaves and sauté for 30 seconds to release flavours.
- Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes or until just lightly browned. Add garlic and stir to combine. Sauté for another 3 minutes or until onions soften.
- Add sweet potatoes and stir to combine and coat well. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender.
- Sprinkle coriander on top and serve.
- Bump up the protein content of this dish by adding tofu or lentils.
- Want more flavour? Add 7 mL (½ tbsp) of natural almond or peanut butter or non-nut alternative to your dish.
- Remember, a little salt goes a long way. Taste the food before adding any salt.