This refreshing salad is a perfect way to use tomatoes. It is versatile enough to enjoy for lunch, on a picnic, or dinner on the patio with family and friends. Serve it over lettuce leaves for added colour and crunch.
- 1 L (2 pints) grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (each 120 g drained weight) light flaked tuna in water, drained
- 250 mL (1 cup) chopped cucumber
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 10 mL (2 tsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 85 mL (⅓ cup) chopped fresh basil
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh oregano
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, celery, tuna and cucumber.
- Prepare the salad dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, garlic and hot pepper flakes. Pour over tomato mixture along with basil and oregano and toss to coat well.
- Older kids can help slice tomatoes and celery, drain tuna and chop cucumber. Little chefs can whisk salad dressing together.
- For the best tasting tomatoes, store them at room temperature away from direct sunlight until ripe. Putting unripe tomatoes in the fridge results in a mealy texture. When ripe, store tomatoes in the fridge.
- No grape tomatoes on hand? No worries. Dice up 4 tomatoes instead.
- Switch up the protein. Try this salad using canned salmon instead of tuna, or use leftover cooked fish.