In this recipe, tofu takes on warm and spicy Indian flavours. Serve it over brown rice or with whole wheat naan (flat bread).
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) minced ginger
- 10 mL (2 tsp) cumin
- 10 mL (2 tsp) paprika
- 10 mL (2 tsp) chili powder
- 10 mL (2 tsp) Garam masala
- 10 mL (2 tsp) coriander
- 2 mL (½ tsp) salt
- 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 250 mL (1 cup) water
- 85 mL (⅓ cup) coconut milk
- 1 package (400 g/14 oz) extra firm tofu, diced
- In a large pot, heat oil and add onion. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until translucent. Stir in garlic, ginger, cumin, paprika, chili powder, garam masala, coriander, and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in tomatoes, water, and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes to thicken.
- Blend sauce until smooth. Add tofu and stir gently to coat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Steam or roast any veggies you have on hand to transform this into a complete meal.
- There’s a task in the kitchen for all family members! Ask little chefs to help you measure out all ingredients before you start cooking.
- For a less spicy meal, simply use less chili powder.
- Instead of rice, toss cauliflower florets in the same masala spices and roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until tender.