Making a sheet pan dinner is a simple way to get dinner on the table and reduce food waste by transforming wilting veggies into a delicious meal. Experiment with different vegetables, protein foods, and seasonings!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 450 g)
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) olive oil, divided
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) za’atar spice blend
- 18 small new potatoes, halved (about 450 g/1 lb)
- 2 bunches rapini, trimmed, or collard greens, trimmed and leaves thinly sliced (about 3 ½ L/14 cups)
- 375 mL (1 ½ cups) 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 10 mL (2 tsp) dried oregano
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 2 mL (½ tsp) salt
- 2 mL (½ tsp) ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C (350 °F). In a large bowl, place chicken pieces. Drizzle with 5 mL (1 tsp) of olive oil then sprinkle za’atar and lemon zest over chicken. Rub well to coat chicken in mixture.
- On a large parchment paper lined baking sheet, arrange chicken pieces on one side.
- In another bowl, add the halved potatoes and 5 mL (1 tsp) of olive oil. Toss well to coat potatoes and arrange on the other side of the sheet pan, with the flat side facing down. Season potatoes and chicken with 2 mL (½ tsp) salt and all of the pepper. Cook for 20 minutes then remove from heat.
- In the same bowl, combine rapini or collards and remaining 5 mL (1 tsp) of olive oil to coat the greens. Place the greens on top of the chicken and potatoes on the sheet pan. Return to the oven, lower the temperature to 74 °C (165 °F) and bake for another 8 to 10 minutes or until greens are tender and chicken is cooked through.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt and dried oregano and mix well. Sprinkle lemon juice over greens and serve on the side.
- Save on time by washing and chopping the vegetables the night before. No fresh veggies on hand? Use a bag of frozen mixed vegetables.
- Your little chefs can help wash the potatoes and rapini. Older kids can cut the potatoes and squeeze the lemon juice.
- Switch up the protein! Try using shrimp or cubed tofu instead. If you’re using leftover cooked protein, skip step 1.
- Season with your favourite herbs and spices. Try dried thyme, garlic powder, or chili powder for a spicy kick.