These fajitas are so fresh and flavourful. As an added bonus, this must-try recipe can be whipped up in a snap.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 2 small beef grilling steaks, excess fat trimmed (about 400 g/12 oz)
- 10 mL (2 tsp) chili powder
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) ground cumin
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) fresh ground pepper
- 10 mL (2 tsp) canola oil, divided
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red, orange or yellow bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 small whole grain or corn tortillas
Lime Sour Cream:
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) light sour cream
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) grated lime rind
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) lime juice
- Using a large knife, thinly slice steak crosswise into thin strips. Toss with chili powder, cumin and pepper.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium high heat and brown beef. Remove to plate. Add remaining oil in same skillet and sauté onion, bell peppers and cilantro for 4 minutes or until tender crisp. Return beef to skillet and heat through.
- For the lime sour cream, in a small bowl, stir together sour cream, lime rind and lime juice.
- Divide beef-veggie mixture among tortillas and top with lime sour cream.
Cut down your prep time with a little planning. Slice the veggies and beef ahead of time, and make the lime sour cream. That way, you only need 10 minutes to make dinner.
Try these variations:
- Tofu Fajita Option: Omit steaks and use 1 pkg (350 g) extra firm tofu. Add 5 mL(1 tsp) of oil to the chili and cumin mixture to help spices stick to tofu.
- Chicken Fajita Option: Swap out beef steaks and use 1 pkg (400 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead.
- Shrimp Fajita Option: Instead of the steaks, sub in one bag (400 g) of large raw peeled, deveined shrimp, thawed.