A great one to warm you up on a cold winter day! Complete the field to table experience with this easy to make hearty stew.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 10 mL (2 tsp) canola oil
- 575 g (1 lb 4 oz) moose, cubed
- 2 small onions, cut into large chunks
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 L (4 cups) no salt added beef broth
- 5 medium yellow fleshed potatoes, peeled and diced
- 750 mL (3 cups) mixed vegetables, frozen
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) parsley, dried
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) thyme, dried
- 4 bay leaves, dried
- 5 mL (1 tsp) pepper
- In a large shallow saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Brown the moose meat and put aside.
- Add the onions to the saucepan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the celery and carrots. Cook about 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the moose meat and stir. Add in broth, potatoes, frozen vegetables, parsley, thyme, bay leaves and pepper and stir. Cover, lower heat and simmer for 2 hours. Remove whole bay leaves before serving.
- Want leftovers for lunches? Double the recipe and freeze for up to 4 months.
- Having trouble finding moose meat? Substitute moose meat with a lean cut of beef such as round or loin.
- Try some sweet potatoes or squash instead of potatoes.
- Serve with a baked whole grain tortilla, bannock or flatbread for a little crunch.