Perfect for breakfast or any meal of the day, this dish is made with simple ingredients and is a fun twist on eggs.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 796 mL (28 oz) can of no salt added diced tomatoes
- 5 mL (1 tsp) cumin
- 10 mL (2 tsp) paprika
- 2.5 mL (½ tsp) ground coriander
- 1.25 mL (¼ tsp) red pepper flakes
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C (375˚F).
- Lightly coat a large oven-safe skillet with cooking spray or oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add diced onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add bell pepper and garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and all of the spices to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, crack one egg. Using a small spoon, move the simmering tomato mixture to create a small hole for the egg. Pour the egg into the hole. Repeat until all eggs are in the skillet.
- Turn off the heat and move the skillet from the stovetop to the preheated oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes until eggs are set but still jiggle in the centre when you move the skillet. They will continue to cook once removed from the oven.
- Remove the skillet from the oven. Add a handful of chopped parsley, if desired, and serve.
- Want more protein? Add a 540mL can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed, to the simmering sauce.
- In a hurry? Instead of cooking the shakshouka in the oven, simply cover the skillet and cook it on the stove over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Just keep an eye on the eggs, so they don’t overcook.
- If you don’t have bell peppers, experiment with other vegetables that you like. Try chopped broccoli or spinach.
- Serve this dish with a slice of whole grain toast to soak up the extra sauce.