Replacing sugary drinks with water can have an impact on your overall health.
On this page
Benefits of replacing sugary drinks with water
Replacing sugary drinks with water will help reduce the amount of sugars you drink.
Drinking sugary drinks may lead to increased risk of:
- type 2 diabetes
- cavities in children
Sugary drinks can include:
- iced tea
- fruit juice
- soft drinks
- sports drinks
- energy drinks
- fruit-flavoured drinks and punches
- sweetened plant-based beverages
- flavoured waters with added sugars
- sweetened milks like chocolate milk
- sweetened hot or cold tea, coffee, hot chocolate and other specialty drinks
How to replace sugary drinks with water
Choose water instead of sugary drinks.
Be mindful of when you may be likely to have sugary drinks. This may be when you are:
- eating out
- enjoying leisure time
- breaking for a coffee or tea
- celebrating a special occasion
- being physically active or playing sports
- choosing a drink to go along with your food
Be sure to choose water instead.
Visit the Food guide for life for tips to:
- Choose a healthy drink
- Make healthy choices when eating out